Just starting out…

First of all, I’d just like to apologise for the irregularity of my posts lately, I will get back to posting every week soon. The last few weeks have just been a little busy for me. As you know, I was in New York the last week of May, but then I flew out to Australia to stay with my Dad and Step Mum who live in New South Wales on the 7th of June, so it was all a little bit hectic in between as I had to move house as well! But more about that in a later post, when I’ve seen a bit more of Australia!

This post is aimed mainly at students in Year 12, S5 or the first year of college. If you’re in one of these then you are probably just starting to seriously think about your UCAS application and what you need to do. Now, its 3 years since I started my (first) UCAS application – which was the one that I did in the “correct” order, and because of that I don’t remember exactly what I did and when, but I did spend a lot of time trying to work out what I actually wanted to study, then even more time looking at prospectuses once I narrowed it down to 3 course – Maths, Computing and Chiropractic. I ended up choosing Chiropractic at this point – and so I began choosing universities and writing my application. But at this point, you just need to be looking for courses and universities. There’s a handy page on the UCAS website that has tips for each stage of the process here: http://www.ucas.com/students/wheretostart/sixsteps (I’ll tweet it as well..)

As far as my advice goes, its simple:

• Choose a subject you are passionate about and that you’ll enjoy studying for at least 3 more years
  • Choose a university that you are going to want to live near for at least 3 years.

Don’t worry about what your friends are doing – I went to Edge Hill knowing no one and by the second day of Freshers’ had a great group of friends that is constantly growing!

So, that’s it for me for now…as ever, good luck to anyone with exams!!