I’m writing this from the lobby of Hostelling International in New York City! At the moment I’m just waiting for the bus to get here to take us to the airport to go home, but this is the end of a truly amazing week!
We arrived here on Monday evening US time, after having been awake since 3am the previous day to travel from Edge Hill to Heathrow, then fly to JFK, but the first evening out in Times Square made that completely worth it!
The trip has been completely organised by the Computing Department at Edge Hill, and was really well priced for everything that was included. It cost just £860 for the trip, which included:
- Transfers to and from Edge Hill
- Flights from Heathrow to JFK
- Transfers to and from the hostel
- Stay at Hostelling International
- Ferry to Liberty Island and Staten Island
- Entry to the Empire State Building
- One week subway pass giving unlimited travel on the subway system
If all that wasn’t enough, the hostel also run a variety of tours and other activities that range are either included in the stay or come at a small extra fee. Although I didn’t go on any of them, I’ve heard from other people that they are a really good way to see extra things in the city.
I think the best parts of the trip for me have been:
- Visiting the Ground Zero memorial
- Going up the Empire State Building
- and making a brilliant new group of friends!
so I’d definitely recommend going on this trip next year for any of you who are coming to Edge Hill in September! Watch out for the information in Fresher’s Week!!