Placement is coming to an end…

Hi again,

Well I have 2 weeks left on placement and today I have spent the whole day trying to get all of my lessons for the next 2 weeks planned… I’m about 75% of the way there so hopefully by the end of the day they will all be done!!

I’ll be really sad to leave my placement school, there have been ups and downs, as you would expect, but I have to say there have been more ups than downs and I have learnt so much! In fact, I think in terms of the kind of teacher I want to be, I have learnt the most on this final placement than on either of my other placements. I’ve learnt that it is extremely important for the pupils to engage in independent learning rather than me just giving them all of the information and it is essential for them to be active and enjoy their learning.

I’ve come across a new style of teaching on this placement, called TEEP (Teacher Effectiveness and Enhancement Programme) and it is suggested that 85% of the learning that takes place in a classroom should come from the learners and actually only 15% should be the teacher standing talking to the class… When I began my placement I wasn’t so sure about the idea, I’d only really taught using PowerPoint and standing telling the pupils the information before setting them tasks that allowed them to demonstrate their knowledge, but now I wouldn’t teach any other way than TEEP.

I have seen how much the pupils enjoy a TEEP lesson, with one pupils saying that he ‘knew he was learning but didn’t feel like he was learning because he was having so much fun!’ It usually involves thinking creatively when lesson planning and having a great amount of trust in your classes, but I have found that by putting my trust in them, they have seen I have confidence in them, usually resulting in a mutually beneficial outcome, where I get to spend more time actually supporting the pupils rather than standing at the front of a classroom, very much in a lecture style manner and the pupils get to actually enjoy their learning.

Although I will be sad to finish my placement I am very much looking forward to a short break followed by some new challenges, I can’t wait to start a job in September and be a ‘proper’ teacher and do what I love; I’m looking forward to getting back to work on my dissertation and remaining Uni assignments and also working over summer at a language school. So I definitely have lots to look forward to over the coming months, not to mention graduation in July!!

Until next time,

Jen 🙂