First day on placement…

Hello again 🙂

So today was my first day on my synoptic placement…

Even though this is the 3rd placement I have undertaken since starting at Edge Hill I was still full of nerves last night… What would the school be like? Would the kids be nice? Would I have supportive mentors?

When I arrived at the school at 8am this morning I realised that I had nothing at all to worry about! The school, the kids and the mentors all seem nice!

I started the day with meeting the science department and having a quick tour of the science rooms and staff rooms and was then straight into lessons. The first lesson of the day was maths (yes I’m a training to be a science teacher) but the science an maths departments work together as one faculty, so I sat observing a year 10 maths lesson.

Periods 2 & 3 were spent in the large hall of the school in a revision session put on for the whole of year 10 in preparation for their exam next week.

Period 4 I met with my professional mentor and discussed the expectations for the placement and what I hope to achieve by the end of my time at the school.

Period 5 I was in a year 9 science lesson where pupils were making models of everyday objects and describing how the use science and then going on to design a futuristic product that would use science.

Period 6 is for extra curricular activities and ends at 4.05 and staff are expected to stay until this time – so today I got a chance to chat with some of the other members of staff and get to know them a little bit.

All in all a good day – in looking forward to getting stuck in and doing some teaching!

I will try to write shorter more frequent blogs now I’m on placement, to give a more in depth idea of the life as a trainee teacher.

Thanks for reading

Jen 🙂