Why Teaching?

Why did I become a teacher? I’m guessing that many teachers ask themselves this question on a regular basis. There may be days when a teacher is so overwhelmed by the task in front of her, that she asks herself “What on Earth am I doing?” Teaching is, without doubt, a challenging profession, and one which in order to do it well, you must have a passion for. Teaching has to be something that you love to do. If not, the negative effects can be extremely long lasting, for both you and your students.

Have I always wanted to be a teacher? Yes and no is my answer to this question. Since a young age I have always “played school” taking on the role as teacher, but I also was very interested in becoming a dentist. Then I got involved in netball coaching at the age of about 14 and was sure that teaching others was what I wanted to do, and knew that I would teach either Science or Physical Education. My year 11 work experience was in a high school, and I think it was this experience that made me realise that teaching was the profession for me. Through college there were moments where I had other career paths in mind, but then I began to study psychology for the first time, and absolutely loved it and thought that I wanted to become a psychologist in a prison.

With this new career path in mind I went to University to study psychology, and although the course was very enjoyable, it just didn’t feel right; I couldn’t get the idea of being a teacher out of my head… Now I’m sure you’ve all heard the cliché “If you can’t get something out of your head, maybe it’s supposed to be there.” Well I took this on board and after two years on my psychology degree I decided that teaching was 100% for me, so I began to look for Universities that could offer me the course that I wanted, and that’s when I came across Edge Hill University and it sounded perfect to me, so I ended my degree at my first University and set along a new path at Edge Hill….

I began to volunteer at a local school on the run up to the start of my course, and that’s when I noticed the positive effect that I could have on a child’s life. I began to notice that I could encourage even the most challenging of pupils to complete work by introducing interesting and exciting ways to get them to think about what they were doing. I’ve had two placements for my course now too, and it’s amazing watching the kids grow and become confident learners.

If I had to pick my favourite thing about being a teacher, it would definitely be those “light bulb” moments, when you have explained something to the pupil and you can see that they understand it.

Now, I can’t wait to qualify as a teacher and have my own classroom and classes, but does my enthusiasm and passion for becoming a teacher mean that all of my students will always like me? No. Will every day be a brilliant success? Definitely not. However, I know that during my time as a teacher I will have a massive impact on students’ lives and will have influenced my pupils in a positive way.

If you are interested in teaching in a secondary school, Edge Hill are running a Three Day ‘Taster’ Course for Secondary Teaching. This is a chance to experience a career in secondary teaching before making a decision. You will be able to talk to practising teacher, spend a day observing lessons, receive advice from the school’s training team and discover the best route into teaching for you. If you are interested or would like more information follow the link http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/careers/TeachingZone/TrainingTeach.htm

Don’t forget to follow me on Twitter to keep up to date with life as a trainee teacher at https://twitter.com/#!/jen_ehu

Something to think about…

“If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn’t want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher’s job.”  ~Donald D. Quinn

1 thought on “Why Teaching?