I am a trainee Secondary Mathematics Teacher in my third and final year at Edge Hill. I have four weeks left of my degree before I finish and have my last exam. The graduation date is set (18 July) and the outfit is yet to be bought.
But luckily for you, your journey has yet to begin and hopefully you’re filled with excitement and anticipation for your September start date.
On my course, the main aspects over the last three years have been:
- Skills Tests- You need to complete an English and Maths Skills Tests for many Education Courses…. Check this out to see if your course requires this from you.
- DBS Check- Again, any work with children will require you have a DBS check, Uni will complete the administration forms for you, but again make sure that you know whether your course requires it and how it is completed.
- Placements (Secondary/Primary)- Many courses at Edge Hill require placements be completed which are arranged through Uni for you. These placements are fantastic learning opportunities which mould you into fantastic teachers. Although sometimes they throw you into the deep end it allows you to show off how you can cope and thrive in such an environment… This may even land you a job.
- Assignments (Coursework)- I have had at least one piece of coursework from each module I have undertaken (6 a year).
- Exams- some on the modules I have undertaken have been assessed using both coursework and exams, other modules on other courses may have other make ups.
My course involves exams, not all do, so make sure you know this. Unfortunately I didn’t know this was something I should know before I came to university… Good job I don’t mind exams.
Anyway, if you have any questions about being an Edge Hill student or becoming a Secondary Teacher please feel free to comment!