At least this will reach you before the end of January. It has been a hectic couple of weeks since returning back to Ormskirk for University – deadlines, 21st Birthday’s, meetings and dissertation workshops!
So below I have listed ten of my favourite adverts from 2012 with a few reasons why they struck me last year. These adverts from 2012 are (a little regretfully) from Industry Giants… I often like to find more unique and unseen adverts but last year John Lewis, Apple, Argos and of course The Olympics are hot on the list!!
1. The BBC Olympics Advert – What a year for Great Britain and this is reflected by the BBC in this wonderful advert for the Olympics. Definitely has to be my favourite of this year.
2. Second to the Olympics another great advert to come to us this year was The Guardian Open Journalism – we saw it trending on Twitter, being spread around the Social Networks and all in the name of the three little pigs scandal!
3. Mr Kipling Jubilee Advert – The Jubilee was a great time for everyone to get into the celebratory spirit together as a Nation. Amongst all the Street Parties I imagine there were lots of little cakes and snacks and Mr. Kipling’s Campaign was just brilliant. Here’s just one example of a series of advert made for the Jubilee for Mr. Kipling.
4. British Airways – Now these adverts for the Olympics were AMAZING. With interactive Facebook campaigns and adverts where you could fly to your own house in the UK with a fantastic collaboration between BA and Google Earth. This is definitely one of the best adverts to have ever existed. It can’t be easy for a brand as big and as established as British Airways to dissuade people from flying – the one key aspect of their brand! But of course, being British Airways it was done with class and in style and representing Team GB and the cause to stay in the UK greatly!
5. John Lewis – Never Knowingly Undersold. This parallel universe love story captured the hearts of the Nation and once again was a very shared, retweeted and over-social-networked advert but for all the right reasons. John Lewis never fail to please with their adverts and this one was no different…
6. Channel 4 Paralympics – Although there was a lot of discussion surrounding the broadcasting of the Olympics/Paralympics and why they weren’t hosted on the same Channel, I think C4 did a great job. This advert is very special and particularly personal to me, as a family friend appears in it.
7. Apple iPod. – This bounce advert speaks for itself, the rhythm and the movement and just how clever it is, love this advert!
8. Absolut Unique – Usually a Vodka bottle is just a Vodka bottle but Absolut put a twist on this last year by making the Unique bottles! This advert is great, and if you have time – watch the making too!
9. Argos – Although they received a lot of negative feedback to begin with, I still don’t understand how anybody can hate these adorable, comical, little, blue aliens! And how cute they thought a hand whisk was a toy …
10. Last but not least and probably very predictable John Lewis – The Journey. Christmas adverts from John Lewis are always known and are always great, this power of love story of two snowmen (or should I say a snowman and a snowwoman?!) was no different – how lovely!