Laundry at EHU: Some Lifesaving Tips!

My blog this week is for those readers who live on campus or are going to be living on campus at the start of the next academic year. Prepare yourselves for a dive into the laundry system at EHU, from how it works to a few tips I’ve picked up along the way.

My laundry routine was weekly when on campus. Saturday or Sunday I’d wake up early, pack my washing into my suitcase, and haul it from Chancellors Court, Binns, down to the laundrette. Those of you who end up in Binns will realise that journey can be quite something during the winter. The washing machines take around 30 minutes, dryers 40-50 if my memory serves correct. During those waiting times, I always made use of the Hub or Catalyst, getting a coffee or something to eat. Generally, I’d save the coffee for the long wait so I have more time to enjoy it.

The reason I’ve told you my routine is because a lot of the tips I’m going to make are nestled within it!

Firstly, use your suitcase to transport your washing to the laundrette on campus, it’s a lot easier to move it and if it rains none of your clothes get wet again after being in the dryer.

Regarding the wait time, the Circuit app has timers but its always wise to set a timer of your own so you get a notification when its time to go back to your clothes.

If you’re a bit of a walk away from your accommodation, use the Hub or other facilities and treat yourself. If you time it around the weekend like I did, I always viewed that coffee and maybe cake as a reward for getting through another week at uni.

Moving past those tips now however, the Circuit app is essential for doing your laundry. The app is pretty simple to grasp and there are signs in the laundrette on how to use it, so I won’t go into that. Instead, I’m going to talk about how much money I put on my account per week and why. Each week before I went down to put my clothes in the wash, I’d put £5 in my Circuit account. £5 each week was a little over the required amount for a wash and clean if my memory serves correct, so I was leaving a little in my account each week. Over the weeks you’ll build up the amount in your account until you get a ‘free’ wash, and you can use that £5 on something else!

A screenshot from my Circuit Laundry app.

Laundry isn’t the most exciting topic, but it’s one I wished I knew more about before going to EHU. I hope if anyone is in the same boat I was, my blog this week can work to alleviate any concerns you may have had!

Alice.