Kitchen Packing: Tricks and Tips.

Everyone talks about what you should be packing for your bedroom at university. Whether on-campus accommodation or off-campus accommodation. I’m guilty of this too. However, one of the important topics that gets glazed over is what you pack for your kitchen. Therefore, this week my blog is going to revolve around that all-important kitchen packing list.

The best way to give credible recommendations is to explore the mistakes I made when packing.

All my kitchen stuff on the day I moved into my Chancellors Court at EHU.

In EHU accommodation, more often than not you’ll get one cupboard in the kitchen for all your stuff, which is tiered into two sections by a shelf. Therefore, do not make the mistake I made and pack a colander, it will take up too much space in your cupboard. I’d recommend a sieve for all your drainage needs, because then you also have something for baking! Also, it’s likely to be a lot cheaper of a purchase.

Another mistake I made was taking too many plates and dishes, realistically I’d say you’d only need two of each if you’re on top of your washing up like I was during first-year.

Onto recommendations rather than mistakes! Buy some kitchen foil and keep stocked up on your kitchen foil. You can use the foil to wrap up leftover food like pizza for your fridge, but also put it on your baking trays to save on washing up. For £3 every few weeks, you can save a lot of time, leftover food, and space in your fridge since wrapping something in foil is more space effective than putting it in plastic boxes (Something I often did).

Even if you’re apprehensive on if you’d use them or not, I suggest packing a measuring jug, mixing bowl, some kind of tin to bake with. Anything you don’t use can just be stored beneath your bed. I didn’t have the desire to bake until Christmas came around, so I was thankful I had a mixing bowl and a nice little square baking tin to use. Besides, baking is a good way to score brownie points with your flatmates (The pun there is very intentional).

Overall it’s better to pack light on your kitchen utensils and so on, you’ll most likely want the extra space in your car for clothes when moving to uni if you’re anything like me!

Alice.