Finding Your Tribe

Hey everyone, as the beginning of your Edge Hill journey is fast approaching, I thought I would share some tips on finding your tribe/that group of people that you want to share your journey with.

1. Flatmates

These people are more than likely going to be the first people that you meet when arriving at university and so, it is probably a good idea to take some time to get to know them as soon as possible. I know that it might be tempting to shy away in your room and wait for the opportunity to come and meet the flatmates but trust me when I say, pushing yourself to socialise is what is going to make university a whole lot easier.

I was really lucky that all my flatmates were so so nice and we had the best time ever in first year even though we were all different. I am still living with the people I met in first year and with the people I made friends with from downstairs and can safely say that they are now some of my very close friends.

2. Course friends

These are also one of the first people you will meet and most likely in a lecture setting which is not the most ideal place for socialising. However, I found that I got talking to my course mates by simply asking, “Hi, is anyone sitting here?” to which then leads on to a conversation about starting university or where you live or something a long those lines. As I do a primary teaching course, it means that I have smaller classes which I was able to talk easier to some of my classmates which then led to meeting up before lectures or going to classes together etc.

3. Clubs/societies

I have never personally joined a club or society in university aside from the gym but I have heard of other people who have and have made really great friends. I suppose this is because you join a club based on what your interests are and so there you will find other people who have similar interests as you.

I hope that this helps anyone or comforts anyone starting university as making new friends who have similar interests as you can be daunting a very scary. Never be afraid to push yourself to do things that will make you happy in the long run and that will help you through your journey.

“You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”

-A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh