University Exams – A First-Year Reflection.

Exams are stressful, I think most people can agree with that. The build-up to them, the sleepless nights of revising, and then when you realise you’ve technically paid to sit your first university exam, there’s a whole layer of pressure. I sat my first exam at Edge Hill in January 2020, and today my blog is going to recount how I prepared for it. As always, your exam experience, timing, and so on, will be different as the schedule for exams changes each year, do not use what I am going to discuss as an exact rundown of what you may experience during your time at Edge Hill.

I began revising for my exam around three weeks before the date of it, in reflection, I could have done with starting maybe four or five weeks before. I luckily only had one exam in the January exam period so I could put all my time and energy into that one exam. As a business student, a lot of my degree is based upon theories and such, so to prepare I went through a revision list my friends and I had prepared, then made a google document with all the essential information relating to each topic. In total, I have a twenty-nine-page document that I’d completely retyped, no copy and pasting. I found retyping the information, the printing the whole thing off, reaffirmed what I already knew from studying the module earlier in the year. I will certainly use this method again.

A screenshot of the google document I prepared as my revision.

Moving onto the actual day, I woke up around six, and went about my normal routine of showering, putting makeup on, I made sure I looked good for my exam. When doing this, I had the mindset if I look good, I’ll be able to do good, a confidence kind of thing I suppose. The exam took place on January 6th, the first day of exams, at nine, so I didn’t have time to overthink anything and just got stuck in there. The exam went quick, at least I found it did, so that’s something to keep in mind if you’re nervous about it dragging on or anything related to that. I left before the end as I finished my paper and read it over several times, I was pretty confident in doing so, but you should make sure you are too before you consider hopping up out that seat.

University exams on the surface are stressful, but when you get down to taking them, I found they aren’t. The most stressful thing was awaiting my results as they had to be moderated, but considering I got a 2:1, I was happy to wait. My parting advice would be to revise as much as you can, and ensure you are proud of what you have written when you leave that exam hall.

Alice.