Accommodation Prep: Kitchen

When thinking about what to bring for a student kitchen, IKEA is honestly your saviour. I think when I shopped, I got all of my kitchen essentials from IKEA. It’s affordable and everything you need is there. Here’s a few things you may need, whether you’re a basic cook or an excellent chef.

Kitchen Equipment

Kitchen

What you might not know is that some of the accommodation blocks will have induction hobs. This is quite important as you’ll need to bring induction saucepans and frying pans with you, otherwise nothing will cook. Also it will be worth saying that depending on your flatmates, they may use you utensils without asking. If you don’t want this to happen, politely say. For me personally, I talked to my flat once I moved in and expressed that I have an allergy, so no one touched or used my stuff without asking.

1. Mugs: There will be times when you just want some biscuits and a cup of coffee/tea. You can go to so many different places and find cute and quirky mugs to suit your taste.
  2. Cutlery: This is a bit of a given. As a rule, I would try and get a set of 4 for each piece. For plates and bowls, I would go for 2. If your flat does a flat meal, you can all use your own so it works out nicely. Also, a flat dinner is a great way to get to know each other.
  3. Chopping boards/Knives: If you tend to cook a lot, this is a must really. You’ll also need some cutting knives with this.
  4. Oven gloves/Tea Towels: Most people wouldn’t think about this, but this is an essential. Especially if you cook using the oven a lot.
  5. Plastic boxes or freezable bags: Cooking in big batches will save you time and money. Make sure you bring some of these and put the leftovers in here ready for another dinner or lunch.
Microsoft Customer Story-BBC Good Food serves up personalized ...

One of my tips is to start learning the basics of cooking whilst you can at home before coming to University. This will help you feel more comfortable coming to Uni. And maybe you can try new foods, try and experiment with different recipes. One of my favourite apps for this is BBC good-food.

Signature for my posts. I end every post with a love heart

Ellis x