Moving out of Campus Accommodation.

I’m writing this on Sunday 7th June 2020, and yesterday I moved out of my university accommodation, it was a lot easier than I expected.

So, background before I retell this story. I am a first-year student and I spent my first year in Chancellors Court accommodation, on campus. I took home my essentials (Which equated for about a half of my stuff) when my lectures were switched to online in light of the current pandemic in March. A week or so ago the university invited me to book a slot to collect the rest of my items, and my timeslot was this Saturday at 9 AM, exhausted was an understatement by the time I was done.

The view from my room on campus

I realise I jumped ahead of myself there, so in an effort to ensure whole experience it recapped for yourself, let’s go from the top. My quarantine sleep schedule is 2/3 AM to 11 AM, sometimes 12 PM.. I had to wake up at 7 AM for my car journey back up to uni. That car journey truly makes me wish I lived close to Edge Hill, every time I take it. My parents and I arrived at the university just before 9, but seemingly since no one else from my building was moving out, we could start early. It was only two people at a time in the building, so we created the system where one of my parents waited outside and took bags, boxes, anything we could put stuff into, to the car, and my other parent and myself packed my belongings. Like I said before, having packed up half my room in March, it was a lot easier of a process.

A candid shot of my desk just before I moved out in March.

In all it took about an hour to pack my remaining clothes, my kitchen stuff, all the things you wouldn’t really think you’d need back home. When all was packed into our car, I had to do the sombre walk of handing my keys in. It felt odd to be wandering through a very quiet campus, I wasn’t going to be staying in the room again and this would be the last time I saw Edge Hill until October, however it was good for me, I’ve gotten one of the last pieces of closure I needed for my first year.

Much like most things at the moment, I can’t say you’ll experience the same as myself, given the circumstances my move out took place in. If you’re a current student still waiting to do this task, maybe this will help. If you’re a prospective student reading this, I hope my recollection of how the university is handling things serves as interesting reading.

Alice.