Staying Fit and Healthy – Lockdown Edition!

Hey everyone! We all know how important it is to look after our mental health during times like these but it is equally as important to look after the physical side of your health which will impact positively on your mental health. Here are some of my tips on how I am keeping healthy over lockdown!

1. Walking

I feel like this first tip does not need much explaining. Walking (within the limit) can be just as good of exercise as going to the gym or doing a really long run. I just realised how much I sound like my dad by saying that…isolation has damaged me, let’s move on.

2. Resistance Bands

As the gym has sadly been closed for the seeable, I have had to rely on my trusty resistance bands for working out at home. I mainly use them for leg days or when I need a stretch as they add a little bit more resistance (surprisingly) to squats, lunges etc. 

I also am really lucky that my family has kept some old workout equipment such as dumbbells and bars over the years which have come in handy during this period.

3. Zoom Classes

I am sure that most people are quite familiar with Zoom for pub quizzes and family calls etc. As I have not been able to train with my Gaelic football team, one of the girls set up two exercise classes a week for us all to join and workout together. It is a great way to stay connected to the team and to continue with keeping fit. Why not try it with your friends?

I hope that some of you found this helpful during this time and are keeping safe at home! Keeping fit and healthy does not have to be hard and can easily be done without a gym or loads of equipment.

Thank you for reading, Lauren x

“To keep the body in good health is a duty…otherwise we shall not be able to keep the mind strong and clear.”

-Buddha-