Student Jobs – Extend Yourself!

Worried about your finances? Perhaps your student loan only stretches to cover your accommodation, or you’ve got the habit of buying luxury products like I do.

While there are jobs outside campus in Ormskirk, and if you can travel there, St Helens, Edge Hill have their own network of positions for students that’ll give you valuable experiences to put on your CV, but also let you make some cash on the side. In the first year, you’ll have the opportunity to apply for the student experience bank ran by Advantage, become a student guide for open days, become a student mentor, or try your hand at this job, student blogger. The jobs on offer are subject to change each year so ensure you check the relevant websites before committing yourself to the whole “I’m going to get this job!” mantra.

I myself currently hold three jobs on campus. This blogging position, student mentor for applicants, and the experience bank. I progressed to the interview phase of student guides but considering all I do I thought it wasn’t wise to pursue it. That ability to think critically about your time is needed if you want to excel in both your studies and a position during your time at Edge Hill. For myself during term time, Tuesday and Friday were earmarked as ‘work’ days, where I’d work on a blog, message mentee, or book myself onto a sounding board. Moving past just those offered by Edge Hill, balance is essential if you’re considering a job off-campus too, consider how long it’d take you to get there and back, if you’re working late how will that affect the next day. Balance is key.

Holding a job while at university is really part of the experience, in my opinion, it elevates that feeling of independence but also rewards you for your hard work beyond what your studies can offer. If you’re an applicant coming to Edge Hill in September, look at the website through this handy link. Good luck with whatever you decide to undertake.

Alice