My First Year – Living On Campus

My first year at Edge Hill is coming to a close, with only two pieces of coursework left, and living back at home now, it’s an apt time to take a look back on things, my chosen topic for today is living on campus. 

It’s very fair to say that living on campus agreed with me so much I’m doing it next year too, and most likely in my third year after my sandwich placement. Being able to be close to everything I could ever need removes the stress of moving away from home since I don’t live near Edge Hill at all out of term time. 

I chose Chancellors Court as my first choice, and got it! If you’re applying for accommodation right now, I suggest thinking critically about your first choice as there’s a chance you just might get it. Most of the Chancellors accommodation is near the Durning Centre (Where you get your post) and the Catalyst, but mine was situated higher up campus by the Sports Centre. Before you ask, yes my flat was the one the EHU Instagram, communicating with the gym through post-it notes. We wasted so many post-it notes doing that.

Chancellors Court – My building on the right.

In your first year, if you have Facebook, you’re in the relevant groups, and you’re pro-active, you’ll be able to find most, if not all of you the people in your hall. Finding mine prior to moving in made things a lot more relaxed on moving in day, and made me a lot more confident. 

Like you will evolve at university, your room shall too. My room started pretty minimalist and ended up becoming a bit of a mess by the end of the year. Don’t be afraid to make purchases like fans, other things for your room, if you feel like you need them, you need them. 

Everyone’s experiences living on campus will always differ, as no one person will have the same flatmates, accommodation building, prior life experiences, as someone else. For myself, living on campus was a fun and exciting challenge that I excelled at, for others it might be more challenging and they might need a little bit of support in places. Either path you feel you might go down, living on campus at least once is a must-do. 

Alice.