WFH: Working From Home.

The world is a crazy place at the moment. However there’s humor to be found, especially in how it affects our university life. Across the country Edge Hill students are logging into Blackboard collaborate, Microsoft Teams and possibly even Zoom, and asking the most important questions…

“Can you hear me?” A few seconds pause. “Can you see me?”

A realistic Teams experience.

Homeworking is upon us and in my blog today I plan to discuss how I’ve been adapting to this over the past three weeks, I think it’s three, everything has somewhat blurred into one. Week one I remember being quite on the ball, remoting into my Monday morning lecture through teams as I drank my coffee, I must admit it was a lot more relaxed than a regular lecture. That’s where the emphasis on this blog is going to lie, viewing home working as a relaxing method of study rather than something stressful.

Books I purchased myself

So far I’ve successfully written and uploaded one assignment out of three. Using journal articles and online textbooks, alongside those I bought myself, gathering my references wasn’t overly difficult. Writing my reflection for the assignment on my home setup was also quite relaxing. I was able to put music on as loud as I pleased or have complete silence, I could take a break whenever and nothing was looming over me like a timetabled activity later that day or a university exclusive chore. Homeworking has greatly changed my uni life as I’ve said, and while it is temporary, I’m quite enjoying it. All of the current circumstances are, for me as a first-year student, an exercise in working almost completely independently. However, I do have regular contact with my lecturers if I need help or have a question.

Another relaxing aspect to home working is, no flatmates causing noise. Sure, I have the sound of my family but three people are a lot quieter than seven. I’m finding without the background noise of the kitchen or people walking around in the hall, or even the halls below me as I was on the second floor, I can work for longer periods uninterrupted. Overall, I much more of a flow in my work.

There is still a month and a half left of my academic year, and seeing we’ll be working from home for the foreseeable future, my opinions over the learning method may change, but for now I’m enjoying it. Working from home is much more challenging as I don’t have the catalyst, but it’s something extremely useful to experience for my chosen subject area of business.

Alice.