My Experience in the Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre

What is it?

The Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre is the building used by Health students. We use it to learn practical skills before we go out on placement (such as drawing blood, practicing CPR, and so much more ). It only opened in October 2019, so everything is very new.

When I applied for Edge Hill University, I was interested in the Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre based on details alone. Initially, there were no pictures of what the building actually looked like, so stepping inside for the first time was a surreal experience. While our clinical experience in the Foundation Year is limited, we’ve made great use of the building so far!

But what it’s it really like studying there? I’ll be sharing my experiences to give you an idea as to what you can expect.

What does it look like?

Aesthetically, it looks and feels like a hospital. This is comforting; I feel like this will help with placement as it’ll be a familiar setting.

What’s in it?

The ground floor has multiple beds for patients of different identities. They blink, breathe, respond to your voice, and there’s even a birth simulation. The other week, we saw how medication affects a patient’s heart rate. It’s very versatile and realistic, and I can’t wait to use it more.

The first floor has a simulated flat for home visits. A few weeks ago, we had a lesson in there. We had to identify any hazards or clues around the house to get an idea as to how the patient lives. For example, if they have an empty fridge, you may wonder if they’re properly eating.

The floor is home to the anatomy room, too. With models of body parts and a state-of-the-art Anatomage table (think of a massive elongated iPad, with human bodies you can freely dissect, with some case studies which can show what happens during an injury). It’s a great way to be more hands-on with your learning!

There’s so much more, including a Radiography room, ultrasound facilities, an operating theatre, to name a few!

Closing words

I’ve had a great experience here (and on my course!) and I can’t wait for the years ahead of me when I can use the facilities a lot more often.