How I got to University: A Non-Sixth Form Route.

After a month of blogging I thought it was an apt time to post a blog about how I got to university as it may inspire some of you reading this. My path to Edge Hill differs from the norm, to the point I didn’t actually know it was a viable path until I moved in and realised it wasn’t an admin mistake that I got into university.

At high school I was given the idea one of the only ways to get to university was through sixth form, but that is not the truth. After completing my GCSEs I failed to get into the sixth form I intended to go to, this shook up my life plans quite heavily but I managed to recover and enrolled at a college. There I did a Level 3 Extended BTEC Diploma in Business Management that I thoroughly enjoyed. Upon enrolment, I had no idea this would let me go to university after finishing it. I completed my first year, even won a student of the year award, and then got told to apply for UCAS. This is where I realised university was once again an option. Obviously you all know the end to this story, I got into Edge Hill University with a hard earned D*D*D*, but this is a route I knew nothing about until application time came along for UCAS. Not only did I get into Edge Hill, I’m one of the recipients of the High Achievers Scholarship given to new students with grades above a certain point. College was an experience that nurtured my academic abilities, to the point that when university came along, I truly felt ready.

The purpose of this blog is to inform you, the reader, that there’s more than one path to university and even if you didn’t go to sixth form, its still a possibility. I enrolled on a college course with little idea uni was still a prospect and now here I am: deep into my first year, achieving grades I’m very proud of, and blogging my university life directly for the university.

If you’re at college now, reading this, and were unaware of your university prospects, take a look at the Edge Hill website and see what your desired course would require, you just might surprise yourself.

Alice.