Ways to Save Money on Campus (Part 1)

The student budget is an old cliche for a reason – pretty much every student is on a tight budget! Even if you’re not on the classic student budget, you’re probably still up for a freebie or a bargain if there’s one going. Well, you’re in luck. Now that I’m in my second year and on a tighter budget than ever, I have gathered some excellent ways to save money and find freebies on campus.

In this two-part mini-series, I’ll begin with how to make your spending work hard for you before sharing some more extreme penny-pinching tips in part 2.

Subway Points

Nestled within the SU building is our very own Subway, serving delicious sandwiches, salads, and snacks all day every day. You’re probably thinking “That’s not necessarily a cheap lunch, Sam” but hear me out. If you scan your Subcard when you make a purchase, you earn points and activate a ‘double points for 7 days’ incentive. Return again within those 7 days for their budget meal deal and scan your card again. The cycle starts again. Very quickly, you have enough points for a free 6-inch sub or salad bowl – I regularly purchase their budget meal deals and have a few free lunches a month!

Most Subway receipts also have the option to get a free cookie when you review your experience online. It takes 2 minutes, maximum.

Loyalty Cards for Coffee Lovers

The coffee shop I visit most on campus is 53.3 degrees within the Catalyst. Handily, they offer a loyalty card that earns you a free coffee when you collect enough stamps. If you’re a coffee lover you very quickly fill a card and get your freebie. The cookies in there are also delicious – highly recommend! Anyone else spotting a cookie theme here?

Discounted Coffee

Whilst we’re on the subject, bringing a reusable coffee mug will get you 20p off your drink. This in itself very quickly adds up to the equivalent of an extra coffee and also eliminates the amount of waste. Who doesn’t love helping the planet?

Now that I’ve helped you to make your lunch and coffees work for you, don’t forget to check back for part 2 of this mini-series where I will be digging a little deeper for those occasions where your purse or wallet is really looking dire. We’ll be talking leftovers, emergency tea bags and staying hydrated.

Sam xo