Why Moving Out to Uni Helped Me

Hey everyone, I hope your February is going well. I thought that today I would write a blog on how moving out of home to go to university helped me in many different ways. I hope you enjoy!

1. Independence

I know that this is a big one that everyone hears about moving to university but it is so true. I would say I am lucky enough to already have been quite independent before university in many things but, as I soon found out, there is more to doing your own washing and food shop in terms of being independent.

Knowing when to finally turn off Youtube after an hour or to lock the door on your way out can be just as crucial to independence as washing and shopping. Do not underestimate the power of being able enough to turn off the TV or laptop when it is time to do some actual work.

2. Gaining experience

I did not know that when you gain independence you also gain a lot of experiences. This one may be hard to explain and maybe a little silly but hear me out. I remember one Sunday morning I was in the flat, on campus, very bored and so I decided to go out into town and amuse myself when I walked past a coffee shop and decided I would go in and try something. Luckily I brought a book and so 3 hours later I found myself very much not bored and ready to go back to the flat to make dinner.

It may sound silly but, being able to make that decision and not have anyone say no or have nobody to go with me was an experience I had not had before and what I felt was important for me to be able to do.

3. Social aspects

Before moving out of my own home and to an extent, my own social comfort zone, my social skills were kept to a minimum as I was not one for going out and therefore not giving myself the opportunity to socialise properly. Being at university has taught me so much about socialising and the wonders of it. I now can say that I can go out on a night out and talk away to anyone I run in to and hold a decent conversation with the workers at Morrisons.

I really hope that you have enjoyed the blog today and found it helpful or even relatable.

Thanks for reading, Lauren x

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”

– Eleanor Roosevelt –