Placement at Home – my experience!

Hey everyone, hopefully your January didn’t feel too long! As my second professional practice is quickly coming to an end, I thought I would do a quick little overview on how it went and my experience being at home!

As some of you may, or may not know, I am from Northern Ireland and am studying Primary Teaching at Edge Hill. This meant that my first professional practice was completed close to the university last year which was a great experience and one I will not forget. For my second placement, I was able to come back to Northern Ireland which was amazing!

Some of you may be confused as to how the observations work and how my visiting tutors visit. This concerned me as well but the university had employed someone from home to come and be a visiting tutor, observe me twice and complete the interim and final evaluation forms for my second placement. The visiting tutor was in contact with the university and so there was no concern about getting the paperwork wrong as someone was always there to help.  The whole experience was very smooth and at not one point did I feel like I was too far away to ask my tutors for help.

This is what I felt was very helpful about the education team at Edge Hill University, even though I was not near the campus I could still reach out through email and ask for any help or clarification on paperwork etc. The team and anyone who I contacted were very quick to respond to my emails and alway more than happy to help me and ask how everything is going.

My second placement at home has been such an amazing experience and I really really do not want it to end but I am so thankful for the education team at Edge Hill University for making it happen and being so helpful throughout the whole process. 

I hope you enjoyed reading and found this somewhat helpful or insightful. Edge Hill University has given me a lot of opportunities to grow as a learner and as a teacher and I am very thankful.

“If a window of opportunity appears, don’t pull down the shade.”

Tom Peters