Beating the January Blues

Hey everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope you all had an amazing Christmas or break and are ready to start 2020 off! For this month, as it is the first month of 2020, I thought I would centre these blogs around the theme of New Years and the month of January as I know this month can be hard for people. Hope you enjoy!

I am sure everyone here has heard or even felt the ‘January Blues’ as I most defiantly have. However, it wasn’t until I started university that I felt it hit hard and it was a shock to the system. I had just started my first placement and two other people that I lived with had also started placement and had moved out from the flat making it feel very lonely all of a sudden.

I knew there were other people in the flat but I just remember not being able to make myself sit in the kitchen with them and so I brought myself over to the gym foyer to do work and then fit a workout in, isolating myself even further. I then started not being able to sleep at night which took a lot of energy out me the next day going into school and it was then when I knew I had to do something about this.

Firstly, I made an appointment to see someone in the catalyst who could help me with this, and I was put in contact with someone very quickly. We had a chat about how I was feeling, and it was so good to talk to someone and let everything out. She offered me some advice on how I could help myself feel better which I appreciated because self-help is something, I’m a huge advocate for.

The weeks following this, I took into consideration some of the things I could do to help myself such as; making time to hang out with friends, facetime my family (I took this one too seriously, sorry mum), rest more and spend time doing something I loved which was walking.

After a few weeks I did start to feel better and more like myself again which was such a relief. All it took was talking to someone to help me realise that I didn’t have to sit in my room or go to the gym every single night to distract myself from the January Blues, all I needed was some self-care and love and I can’t thank the Catalyst well-being team enough for helping me see this.

If you ever feel like this, which I know a lot of people do, know that Edge Hill University’s catalyst is there to help and offer you any help or advice that you need. Follow this link for further information! https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/studentservices/the-health-well-being-centre/

I hope this helps and I hope that you enjoyed reading, Lauren x

Focus on what you can control: your actions. How you react to negative feelings will be the key to your success.

– Blake Mycoskie-