Halls Vs Student Houses – my experience

Hey everyone, as I know from last year that this is the time that people living in halls of residence in their first year start looking for a place to live in their second year, I thought I would share my experience with student houses and how they compare to accommodation on campus at Edge Hill University.

In my first year of university I lived in Chancellors Court with 7 other people. I loved living in halls especially because I got on so well with my flat-mates and can say that I have made friends for life. 

The accommodation that I lived in also had en suite bathrooms which was nice because it meant that you could have a shower anytime you wanted and didn’t have to wait until someone else was finished using it.

Other aspects of halls that I liked; 

• Close to lectures 
  • Close to the library 
  • There are more people in the flat than there is in a typical house and so there is less chance to feel lonely. 
  • 24 hour security 
  • More social (in my opinion)
Lake on the eastern side of campus lined by Chancellors Court and Chancellors South.

For my second year, me and three other girls found a house in town about a 5 minute drive from the university and quite close to the town centre. I really love the idea of living in a house because it feels very homely and you don’t feel as though you are constantly on university grounds. It is nice to feel as though you are not always in university when you go back to your living space. 

Living in a house also has made me a little more independent. It’s strange because I feel like more of an adult since living in an actual house as you have to handle the rent, bills, cleaning it and making sure that the bins have been taken out. I got used to this when living in halls of residence as we had lovely cleaners that took them out everyday.

Other aspects I like about living in a house;

• Close to town 
  • Less confined 
  • No circuit laundry (if you know, you know)
  • No one living above or below you 
  • More freedom
Image result for ormskirk

So, when it comes to choosing which one I prefer, I lean more towards halls because it is more social and I like being closer to lectures and the library. However, living in the house has given me a lot more freedom to do things and I don’t feel the same pressure to always have to be productive and go to the library. I am more relaxed and can ‘chill’ better in the house better than I ever could in halls.

I really hope that you like this post. I really do like living off campus and having even more independence but, I also really miss living on campus because of how close it was to everything that I needed and because I miss living as a big flat and making memories. 

Thank you for reading, Lauren x

“There’s not a word yet for old friends who’ve just met.”

Jim Henson