“What are Primary Education seminars like?”

Hey everyone, since I wrote a post on what my lectures were like, I thought I would do something similar for my seminars which are quite different. 

Enjoy!

In a week, I have around 6/7 seminars depending on my timetable; 

• Monday – Academic Personal Development and English 
  • Tuesday – Maths, Science and Computing 
  • Thursday – Major Specialism 
  • Friday – Foundation Subjects

Like I said, seminars are rather different from lectures. Instead of the entire course sitting in one room, the course is split into groups of around 20+ and given different timetables. Seminars are a lot more interactive and discussion based, giving you the chance to talk about your experience with primary school and professional practice.

I really enjoy the seminars as the teachers make them interesting and ensure that everyone has the chance to voice their opinions. In fact, we are encouraged to and I find it a lot easier to talk in the seminars because you get to know your group better and feel more comfortable more and more each seminar.

I like that you get the chance to talk about your experiences of primary teaching and hear your group talk about theirs. It’s a great way to get to know your peers and get new ideas for teaching practice! Seminars also give you a much clearer insight on what you need to teach in school and many ways on how to teach it in many creative ways.

In terms of ‘homework,’ we would usually get independent reading to support assignments that we have coming up. It’s really helpful to get these readings in class as it gives you a starting point for looking for other readings to help you.

I hope you enjoyed this brief overview of what happens in seminars in the Primary Education course. They are very informative, providing you with a wealth of knowledge and experiences to take with you on professional practice which is why I really enjoy them. Even at 9am in the morning!

Thank you for reading, Lauren x

“Think before you speak. Read before you think.” 

-Fran Lebowitz-