Take a Step Back …

Hey everyone, and Happy Halloween! I hope you all enjoy your celebrations and stay safe! I thought that I would write a blog on what to do when your course starts to get a little too much. Being on the Primary Education course, it can get a little overwhelming especially with the different subjects and professional practice. But worry not, I am here to tell you it will all be okay.

First of all, I just want to say that you are not the only one who is feeling overwhelmed about the course. I can assure you now that if you talk to people in your course you will find that many are feeling the same way. I know from experience that talking about your worries with other people from the course really help with the stress as you know that you are not the only one.

My advice to you when you are feeling overwhelmed is to stop. I know this may contradict everything that you have been taught. You might feel you need to keep going with the assignment that you are stuck on but, in my own experience, it is not the best idea. Taking the time to step back and evaluate what it is that you need to can be really important.

When I find myself in this situation I like to take myself away from the work area and go for a walk outside, listening to music or a podcast or go and talk to one of my friends (NOT about work). Separating myself from the stress of the course and the work I have to do for half an hour and not thinking about it can really help go back to work with a fresh mind set. Do not feel as though you have to sit at the desk and tear your hair until you understand, it will not make it better.

I hope that some of you find this useful and are reminded to not put pressure on yourself when you are feeling overwhelmed by your course. Talk to the people around you and your course tutors, they are there to help you succeed! 

Thank you, Lauren.

“The challenge is to stay cool enough to handle the pressure in the moment so that you can succeed in the future.” 

-Jurgen Klopp-