Creating a Routine for University!

Hey everyone! I have just completed my first week back at Edge Hill University from my three month summer holidays and I thought I would do a post on how to get back to routine after a long break.

I know that Christmas and Easter holidays can be long and returning back to the grind of university can be somewhat daunting but I have found that these tips help me get myself back to routine.

Get Up Early!

I’m not saying that you have to get up at the crack of dawn but, setting your alarm slightly earlier than you normally would and getting your day started earlier can really help to begin your day right. I like getting up earlier because it means I don’t have to rush around in the morning but rather I can take my time and make sure that I have everything prepared for the day ahead.

Make Yourself and Timetable!

Alongside the timetable that I had for university lectures and seminars, I also had my own timetable for everything that I needed to do outside of classes such as; the gym, assignment reading, me time and homework that needs to be completed. This allows me to see when I have free time and what deadlines I have coming up so that I can stick to a regular study routine.

Schedule in Your Breaks

Take this piece of advice from a person who did not schedule in breaks and burnt herself out immediately. Believe me, taking breaks when trying to get back into routine is just as important as scheduling in your working time. If you don’t take time to give yourself a break you will lose the motivation to start any work and continue with the same routine.

Image result for routines

Those are my three quick tips to getting back into routine after coming back from a long break! Also, check out the uniskills website through Edge Hill Student page to get some extra help and support to get you back to routine. I have been to one of the ‘one to one’ appointments at the catalyst which I booked through Uniskills and it really helped get my head around a new routine to help me meet my deadlines for assignments. https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/ls/uni-skills/

Hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading!

My routine is there to serve as the building blocks for a successful day. It’s a tool. I try not to get bogged down if I can’t do it all.” 

Carly Stein