Budgeting Your Food Shop

Hi guys in one of my blogs from a few weeks back I talked about the different  food shops available to you around Ormskirk and what I think each one offers. Moving on from this I thought I would do one on the actual buying of food and how much you may be spending.

So for this i’m going to go by my own general shopping routine for accuracy so this will be catered mostly to shopping in Aldi since that is where I do most of mine. Any weekly shop in Aldi for me can vary depending on what I buy and how much of it I buy but on average I would say a weekly shop costs me around £30 including everything I need, which I think is really good for all I get bearing in mind I’m someone who eats quite a lot. Other people’s shops could vary a fair bit based on what they eat they may be closer to £20 or £40.

There are some good things to bear in mind when you are shopping such as looking out for reduced items or being careful to not buy quickly perishable foods unless you are sure you will eat them, frozen food is the food of students and you can find plenty of good frozen stuff from fruit and veg to burgers and chicken. Compare the weights of products to the price,  some things may look like a better deal but you might get more for your money getting a different bigger/smaller pack even if it’s more/less up front etc. Convenience costs more this one is pretty simple, the more handy stuff that’s maybe already seasoned or fridge ready is probably going to cost you more than it’s base counterpart, for example I used to buy seasoned pork chops but now I buy the pork chops and a marinade packet separate and it saves you around 50p. Obviously it’s fine to not have the time to bother always but it’s worth keeping in your head anyway. Own brand vs branded, Aldi is a mostly own brand shop hence why food is cheaper but most of their stuff is just as good as quality as branded so I have no problem buying it, although I still like some branded stuff on the side. No matter where you shop you will have the same choice to make but if your on a budget then own brand is most likely going to save you more money, but It’s also true that not every cheaper product will be worth buying so I like to try different things and then decide next time what i’m happy with.

So there’s a few things I’m thinking about when shopping which is crazy because before I started uni I just bought whatever I wanted without thinking about it which now just seems mental!

Till next time.

Jordan