Moving Out

Hi guys, considering it’s what most students will be doing around this time, I thought it would be a good idea to  talk about moving out of accommodation for the summer and what to expect when it’s your time to do the same.

Whether you live on or off campus you will probably be expected to have the place tidy for when you leave, obviously out of courtesy but also because it’s usually in the contract to leave the place in the state you first found it and naturally you would want to avoid any possible dispute. This can be tedious, especially if your room’s a bit of a mess come summer time after being bogged down in work but just take it step by step and you should end up with a floor you can actually see! I always take photographs of the place before I leave just in case any issues arise afterwards you can say “yes it was left tidy”.

Throwing away food will probably be necessary, in my experience no matter how hard I tried I always ended up having to throw away food because I keep buying stuff. Just make sure you  make sure it needs to be thrown away, certain stuff can be fine to keep onto next year if your in the same flat. Additionally if you are in  uni halls it’s worth offering spare food to your flatmates who may be staying longer, who can argue with free food?

In terms of travel, coming from Northern Ireland I have brought stuff back by car on the boat as I have too much stuff to take on the plane so that will be an option for some if you live somewhere overseas.  If you don’t have that option there are moving companies which will transport your boxes of stuff for a fee.

Also, if living on campus you have to let the uni know when your leaving and most importantly remember to drop your keys off to the security hut, or if off campus, return to the estate agents/landlord.

Hope this helps, thanks for reading.

Jordan

One Reply to “Moving Out”