First Year over! :)

Hi Everyone! Hope you’re well and have had a good week.

I know right now alot of people have either finished their course or are right on the edge of finishing, just needing that final push towards the end. I handed in my final assignment last Thursday and can’t explain how good it feels to be done after all the slaving away for the past few months. When I first finished, I just slept the full Friday to celebrate!                                                                                  Since then I have been keeping myself busy and my plan was to stay on campus for a few weeks before I go back home for summer- but I have come back home for a couple of weeks before I return with my parents to fully move out- but more of that in my next post!  In this blog I’m going to talk about finishing my first year and 3 mains things I have learnt when being at Edge Hill since September.

Independence!                                                                                                                                            With the countless amount of responsibilities that comes with moving out and going to uni, you really do gain alot of maturity and independence! Many jobs including budgeting, cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping and keeping on top of all uni work- just to name a few! The responsibilities are endless! So when faced with all these responsibilities, it is an instinct to do what we need to do! It can be so difficult to get everything done- but something really important that I’ve learnt within this first year is just to try your best, that’s all you can do. I’ve learnt there are always people around you who are there to help and a phone call home or to friends really helps!

Productiveness and Motivation!                                                                                                I have always been a procrastinator, and when I know i have something  I need to do, but don’t want to (like the laundry or washing up or an assignment that I don’t know how to start) I will do virtually everything else I can to put off doing it! Anything! Like going to an exercise class, having a nap , watching a film, going on a night out..! The list is never ending! But during this first year at Edge Hill, I’ve really learnt if I don’t do it, it just won’t get done! I have enjoyed writing to do lists and meal plans and put everything on the list. Even things like having meals or meeting friends or watching an episode of something as well as starting an assignment as it means I will be more likely to do it! I find that motivating myself by almost bribing myself with things I want to do, makes my goals more achievable.

Confidence and trust in yourself and others!                                                                      During my first year, I have met friends that I know I will keep for life and meeting new people has required confidence and trust! Being confident to make the leap with meeting new people and being yourself is so important- and how you meet like minded friends. And having that trust in others is important too! You have to remember that everyone at uni is in the same boat, everyone is nervous and doesn’t know what’s going to happen, but by being friendly and being yourself- everyone will be happy! Your happiness is so important so making decisions and being safe in situations you are comfortable is key!

I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s blog and it has given you an insight into three important life skills I have learnt in my first year at Edge Hill! Please comment if you have any questions, I hope to hear from you soon.

Alice! 🙂