Open Day at Edge Hill University!

If you’re like me and you like to know what you’re getting yourself into, then I highly advise registering for an Open Day at the universities you’re applying to. They can be very important when coming to decide what university is right for you and where you see yourself studying.

In today’s blog, I will be talking about how you can find the information you need about Open Days, planning ahead and where I think you should visit when you come to an Edge Hill Open Day!

Hope you enjoy!

Information is Key!

Finding out as much as you can about your university can be essential, especially if you need to plan out your day. You can find useful information about the Open Day on the university website as well as looking on their social media platforms where most universities are quite active.

These platforms will give you the information needed before coming to an Open Day such as when it is, what times and where you should visit. What I liked most about the Edge Hill University Instagram is that it often records places on campus so that you can have an idea of what you’re coming to see. They also keep me updated as to what is happening on campus, such as events during Open Day.

Plan Ahead!

I am the kind of person who likes to know what they are doing and when they are doing it. It makes life a whole lot smoother, trust me. Open Days can be rather overwhelming and exciting because of all the opportunities around you and the buzz in the atmosphere as you explore your new environment, and this is why planning ahead on your Open Day should be a major consideration. For example;

• Arrive as early as you can – this will allow you to see as much as you can and get the best experience of the day.
  • Make a plan of what you really want to see first to avoid disappointment. However, our helpful guides will make sure that doesn’t happen.
  • If you are travelling as a group, it may be better to split up into a smaller group so you can cover more ground. I found that this was helpful as it meant that if there were two people who wanted to visit a certain spot on the campus and the other two wanted to visit somewhere else, we didn’t waste time walking around somewhere that was not related to the course.
  • Organise a tour guide as soon as you register. This will ensure that you are again, not wandering around aimlessly when you could be attending important information sessions or events. However, it is quite easy to lose track on our scenic campus…
  • Campus map! This is very self-explanatory but collecting one of these at the Open Day saved me from a lot of arguments about who turned the wrong direction. Trust me on this…use a map.

Additionally, if you are like me and have had to fly in to attend an Open Day, make sure that you arrive early enough at the beginning of the Open Day to avail of the events and have enough time to catch your flight if you are leaving the same day. This was what I was most concerned about when attending university Open Days across the water, not being able to have the time to see everything. However, in my experience, if you let the leaders or an organiser know your situation, they will try to ensure that you are able to visit all the places on campus that you want to.

Places to See!

• Catalyst – I may be biased because I attend Edge Hill University and spend a great deal of time here, but I highly recommend visiting our shiny new catalyst building. Its modern feel makes studying and essay writing a much more relaxed experience with snacks and drinks available at the café, which will be open for Open Day!
  • Sports Centre – this is one of my favourite places on campus. It’s amazing facilities and classes makes exercise fun and inclusive. While you are there, why not take a walk around the track and field?
  • Accommodation blocks – I am really glad that I came to the Open Day, especially to have a closer look at the accommodation. It is not only important to see where you will be studying but to also see and feel where you could potentially be living. Select rooms at the accommodation blocks will be open for visitors to have a look around which is really vital when considering applying for the accommodation on campus.
  • The Hub – the name says it all. The Hub at Edge Hill University is the centre of the campus where you will see a lot of events and buzz about. We have our local convenient shop, eatery, Starbucks and places to meet up with friends. Also, it is a great base place on Open Day if you ever get separated from your family or friends.

My Experience of an Open Day!

When I first arrived at my Open Day at Edge Hill University, I was really surprised as to how many people were there to help you. As soon as I walked on to the campus, there was someone directing me to where I should go. This definitely calmed my nerves and helped me to focus more on what I wanted to see on campus and not about what would happen if I got lost…

I also made sure to attend as many talks as I could during Open Day, particularly if it was about my course that I had applied to do. This allowed me to have a much more in-depth understanding of what my course entailed. Hearing from other students on the course really helped my decision as I was able to listen to their own personal experiences of being on the course. Make sure you ask any questions or queries you have about the course!

I would also recommend that if you are travelling like me, bring an extra bag. You would be surprised how many information booklets you will collect that you didn’t even know you needed. You may even find that you pick up some other freebies along the way.

Extra Information You Will Need!

To book your place for an open day here, at Edge Hill University, follow this link to complete your online booking form and you will be ready to go! – https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/visit-us/open-days/

If you want to find out any further information like, where to find Edge Hill, visit our website! – https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/location/

I hope that you enjoyed this post and found it helps you for your future Open Day. Make sure to book your place and don’t hesitate to ask any questions!

“Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.”

-Malcolm x-