Tackling Assignments

Hello everyone, since we are in the midst of the time of year when everything is due I thought what better way to take people’s minds off the subject then by talking about it some more… I study Film and TV production which deadline wise finishes pretty early with all my deadlines about to be wrapped up by tomorrow so here’s some things to keep in mind if your still going.

Learn from your mistakes: First year for most is kind of an introductory year in some ways, for most degrees, first year assignments don’t actually count towards your final third year grade although I know this can be different depending on what you study. Whether you enjoy this idea or not for me personally when it came to essay writing making more mistakes in first year meant that as I was working through essays this year, I knew certain things not to do.  I even compiled a word document with all the don’ts I had learned of essay writing, which I look at before starting a new essay because I keep forgetting, some examples include:

• Explain things in detail

•  Don’t go off on tangents

• Don’t ask questions, answer them

Pick something that isn’t too hard to research. Some assignments require finding external literature on your own chosen subject, while this can make it tempting to pick something niche that is interesting to you, it is also important that you pick a topic with readings already on it or you could find yourself spending a lot longer researching than if you picked something easier in my opinion.  Basically, just make life easy for yourself!

I find breaking up work into sections makes it easier to complete, so for example on one day doing work I would focus on deciding what I’m going to write about then plan it into sections with bullet points, another day gathering readings/ researching what I’m going to write and then subsequent days doing maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the essay. I’m not a big fan of doing a whole essay in one day as my brain tends to turn to mush after a few hours looking at my screen.

Hope these help at least a little bit and if your here  reading this rather than doing an essay then hats off to you buddy.

Jordan