One Down, Two To Go!

Hey everyone! As you may all know, I am studying BA (HONS) Primary education with QTS here, at Edge Hill University and  I am fast approaching my final 2 weeks of the course, I thought that it would be nice to go through what I thought about certain aspects of the course.

You can read my previous blog that I did in in February, telling you all about the course – https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/insideedge/2019/02/10/what-is-the-primary-education-course-all-about/. However, as I said, this blog will be more about what I personally think about my course, to give a deeper insight.

Hope you enjoy!

Assignments…

Okay, lets get this one out of the way first. Throughout the whole of my first year, I had 8 written assignments, ranging from abut 750 words to 2,500 words. This may seem like a lot but in the Primary Education course, there are currently no examinations at the end of the year which, I think is a blessing in disguise.

Personally, I prefer to work on things in my own time and so, working on assignments periodically works better for me as I can have the time to properly plan them out and not stress about time limits. However, what I will say is that assignments can be stressful because of the deadlines and often the word counts are hard to abide by. I have luckily never had an issue with deadlines and this is because I start my assignments at least 3 weeks before they are due which is my BIGGEST advice. This means, I start reading around the subject and plan out what kind of structure I want my essay to follow.

Lectures

Not to sound like a geek but, I really do enjoy my lectures. I feel that in this course, because the content can be quite hard to follow, the lecturers try their best to make the lectures more engaging and easy to listen to. For example, we had a lecture on Maths Mastery and, I am not going to lie to you, Maths is not my favourite thing in the world however, I really really enjoyed the lecture because it was fun, it was engaging and it didn’t involve reading reams and reams of notes and calculating numbers! 

You could say this made history as it was the first maths lesson, in my life, that I smiled in.Image result for maths

Seminars

How are they different from lectures? Well, it does not include the entire course sitting in the one lecture hall. You are split into groups of at least 25-30 and have the same timetable. For example, my class have Computing, Science, Maths, English, Foundation and APD together and so this means we all have the same teacher and have our own small group chat online where we can ask each other questions and ask for advice. Image result for university lecture

In a way, I prefer seminars to lectures because they are a smaller group of people and you can connect and communicate better with teachers and with each other rather than feeling nervous about asking a question in front of 300+ people in a lecture hall.

However, that being said, I do enjoy the APD lectures we have on a Friday morning because, they are like a small introduction to what we will be learning about in the follow up APD seminar that afternoon.

My goals going into 2nd year…

I have had such a good experience with my first year on the Primary Education course with QTS and I hope that I can bring this into my following two years. I have been thinking about what goals I want to set myself for my second year so that I can get the best out of my course;

• be more confident and answer questions in class – this will really help with speaking in front of people and communicating.
  • identify the areas I need to work on in professional practice
  • keep on top of my assignments and continue to meet deadlines in good time
  • enjoy my time!

So, that was just a small run-down of what I personally think of some of the main aspects of my course. Of course, a huge aspect of the course is the professional practice but I know that will require a more in depth post at some point. In the mean time, take a look at my post about my first professional practice! https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/insideedge/2019/03/17/my-experience-of-my-first-professional-practice/

I really hope that you enjoyed this post and found it useful, thank you for reading, Lauren x

“In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn.”

– Phil Collins