The Sports Centre – My Experience

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a lovely Easter.

In my previous blog post, I spoke about all the ways that you could benefit from a bit of exercise without going to the gym, (https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/insideedge/2019/04/25/three-ways-to-stay-fit-without-the-gym/)

In this blog, I wanted to talk about some reasons as to why I love the gym at Edge Hill University, I hope you enjoy.

The Equipment

On the first day that I arrived at Edge Hill University, I immediately went to The Sports Centre to check out what it was like. I have been really serious about the gym for over a year and so I was excited to see what their gym and fitness areas were like. Let’s just say that to say I was blown away  would be considered an understatement.

Bare in mind that I come from a very small place in Northern Ireland with an even smaller gym that could maybe fit 10 people into it at a time and had decent equipment. However, I was so happy with the gym at The Sports Centre as they had machines that I did not know existed and made my fitness journey even more exciting.

If you would like to have a look at the gym and other facilities please follow the link, (https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/student-experience/sports-centre-gallery/)

Fitness suite in the Sports Centre.

The Classes

Do you ever get those days when, you know you should go to the gym but you also know that you do not have the motivation to complete a really good workout? Well, worry no further because Edge Hill Sport Centre has a range of fitness classes that will keep you motivated and help you to enjoy fitness.

My personal favourite class is Yoga on a Tuesday night. It is so relaxing and soothing to do but it also challenges and stretches my body in ways that I did not know it could. However, if yoga is not your thing, you can always try other classes and see what you love! Have look at the timetable – https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/edgehillsport/fitness-suite/?tab=fitness-class-timetable 

Image result for yoga

The Cafe

What do you do when you have smashed a workout or gym session and are in need of fuelling your body? Go and get yourself a drink and snack from the Starbucks in The Sport Centre, located just as you walk through the entrance.

Not only do they serve tea and coffee, the staff at the cafe also make protein shakes in a variety of flavours. They even have vegan options which is so difficult to come across in shops and cafe’s! Also, you can buy the protein powder in a bag and take it home with you so you can constantly fuel your body!

(PS, the cafe is also a great place to have a tea, coffee or snack when you’re waiting on someone to finish exercising. They have a great seating area with a lovely view of the swimming pool)

Image result for gym gifs do you have any snacks

I really hope that you enjoyed this post. I am so thankful for the facilities at this gym and I of course need to give a mention to the amazing staff at The Sports Centre, making sure that every member feels comfortable, motivating them during their workouts and adapt the machines/facilities to meet their members needs.

Thank you for reading, Lauren x

“The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.”

-Arnold Schwarzenegger-