Hello again, as I have mentioned in previous blog posts before I come from Guernsey in the Channel Islands and there were a few things that I didn’t realise I needed coming to the UK to live. I thought it may be useful for some people if they, like me, come from the Channel Islands or just somewhere away from the UK.

The first thing that I needed to do when I got over to the UK was getting signed up with the doctor. Everyone has to do this, however in Guernsey we don’t have the NHS so it was a little more difficult than just switching pharmacies. On move in day there were some really helpful ladies that were able to sort me out and then a week or so later I was sent an NHS number, which you need to keep safe.

Something that I would actually recommend getting before moving over to the UK, is a railcard. It gives you discounts on your train travel and there are often special offers that are sent to you via email. I applied for mine before moving over and I got one that would last be the 3 years I was at uni and so it cost me £70 (subject to change). This is not always something you realise, as coming from Guernsey we do not have trains, however it is definitely worth while when travelling to and from the airport or if you go to visit your friends.

The final thing that you may not realise if you come from abroad is that to work you will need a National Insurance Number. I was unaware of this when first coming over although the University were very helpful to aid me in how to get one. I had to go through a number of phone calls to be able to sort mine and then I went for an interview in Liverpool to confirm who I was and confirm that I was a student wanting to work. Everyone was very helpful and although it took a few weeks I was able to sort it and again everyone in Human resources were very understanding and helpful.

These are just a few things that I thought would be helpful if you are just moving to the UK to study. If you have any questions please don’t be afraid to ask.

Leave a Reply