Preparation for move in day (Chancellors court)

Hi, I thought as my first year is coming to a close and I am preparing for my second year, it was probably time to give some guidance about living in halls as you are all starting to prepare to move to university. What kind of things I would recommend buying? And the pros and cons of living in halls,

So firstly when buying things for your accommodation you don’t want to go too overboard straightaway as it will take you longer to move in and you want to save some money, there may be things that you realise you need along the way. So I though it would be helpful to collate a list of things that I have used over the year to help well you are buying and getting things ready for university.

Kitchen- 1 Saucepan (induction hob), sift, baking tray, chopping board, plates (small and big, I have 3 big and 1 small), bowl (I have 3), cutlery, mugs, glasses, wooden spoon, whisk, serving spoon, tongs, bottle opener, tin opener, a decent chopping knife, fairy liquid, plastic tubs, washing up cloths.

Bathroom- hand soap, cleaning products, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, face wash, small bin (a lot of this is just whatever your preference is).

Bedroom- Duvet, pillows, bed covers, mattress protecter, decorations, hangers, airer, blankets, mirror (again this is all up to your preference and how you want to make your room homely).

Extras- screwdriver, tape, sewing kit, anti-bacterial wipes, extension lead.

To follow on from this I’d like to reiterate that this is down to preference and what I have learnt whilst living in Chancellors court accommodation and a lot of the accommodations have slight differences. Living in halls is an amazing experience, some of the advantages to living on campus is that its very close to your lectures so you can leave 10 minutes before your 9am and still get there on time, there starts to be a real family feel about the flat as the year goes on. It makes it easier when you are going out because everyone is going to the same place so you always have someone to walk with or get a taxi with.

Things aren’t always plain sailing though, some flats find that because they are so close they do argue, also there may be times that you want an early night however everyone else is up making noise in the kitchen, although I have found that I have got used to the background noise now and so I can sleep through it.

This is just a small guide on living in on campus accommodation, if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask.