A Guide to Living in Halls

Hello everyone, in my last blog I talked about the different types of accommodation Edge Hill offers, following on from that I thought I would give my own experience of living in said halls and some things to keep in mind if you do end up living in them.

Loud noise and dealing with it:

Nobody wants to have to listen to the block downstairs partying  or someone having a full-blown argument while you’re trying to sleep at three in the morning, but sometimes these things happen. Things like earplugs are definitely an option but if they are too loud for too long then maybe calling campus security is the best bet to get things sorted out. At the same time it’s important that you cut people some slack, sometimes other’s don’t know when there being too loud or don’t mean to be and the noise could subside within a few minutes, so in my opinion you shouldn’t have to call security unless the noise is constant. Luckily I never had to call security while in halls but that’s probably because sometimes I can sleep through anything if I’m tired enough!

Keeping the place tidy:

This one’s simple enough, while your room is your room, the kitchen has to be shared by everyone so do your best to keep the place tidy, no one likes the sinks being full of dishes and old food way past its use by, not fun. There are cleaners who come in every weekday, ours was really great and was always very pleasant, so it’s appreciated by them if you can make the effort to keep the place reasonably tidy to make their lives easier.

Designate your space:

At the start of the year everyone is buying lot’s of food and wants somewhere to store it so the fridges/freezers can get full. The best thing I can suggest is everyone decide together who get’s which space. Alternatively to that, if spaces are already filled, pick a shelf and stick to it so everyone else knows that’s where your food is going. Personally, I think another fridge would help for most blocks but I was lucky enough to share a fridge with people who didn’t eat nearly as much as me so I had all the space I needed (most of the time). If you have a mini-fridge you will probably end up using it for groceries.

I hope you enjoyed reading and this helps and till next time!

Jordan