The importance of a work- life balance

When coming to uni, a lot of the time you find that people are here for one of two things. One of them being a great social life and the other being to work really hard for your degree. Now personally I completely disagree with that, I believe that you need to have a good balance of both, getting your work done but also enjoying your time at university. Even when you are not at University it is really important to find a good balance.

What happens if you do too much socialising– well to put it plainly it is likely that you are not going to end up doing very well in your degree. Your work for university does take time and if you are going out all the time and doing lots of extra curricular, it is highly unlikely you are going to have a lot of time to do your work. You will also probably end up with very little, if not no, money in your bank and so you will end up living off plain pasta for breakfast lunch and dinner, which nobody wants. You do need to be able to have a break from studying, however you need to make sure you get the right amount. 

What happens if you do too much work- I mean this is probably not a good way to put it because I don’t think there is a way for you to do too much work, but what I mean is that you are not getting a break. It has actually been shown that if you don’t take breaks from your work you actually become less productive. Even if you don’t like going out there are lots of other things to do on campus other than just going out and drinking. One of my favourite things to do is go for a walk around the back of the sports fields, or going to classes at The Sports Centre. 

What I do to ensure a good balance- I try and set myself a time in the day where I am going to go and do something I want to do, a lot of the time I try for that to be first thing in the morning particularly if it is going to the gym. For example on days where I am not into university till later on or if I am not in at all, I will still try and get up at a decent time and go to the gym or go for a walk as it makes me much more productive throughout the day. I have also joined the dance society as this is something completely different from my course and is a chance for me to have a break from studying.