Productivity Tips

Being productive within your studies can be one of the hardest things to do. Especially at University, you may find it even harder than what you’re studying now as you can have quite a bit of spare time during the week. Myself for example only has 13 hours contact time (lectures and seminars) every other week, however, this will depend on your choice of subject. So these are my top 5 productivity tips to help you get through your studies.

To Do Lists 

Creating lists can help you focus on specific things one-by-one. When I first came to Edge Hill, I found myself struggling to keep up with the work so I got a whiteboard and listed all of the deadlines and important things to do in that week.

Listen to Music 

This is actually more statistical than expressing what I do myself but, research shows that listening to music increases your productivity. This combined with being on your own in a quiet space will also help with being more productive. What I do is create my own playlist of my favourite songs and don’t play it on my phone, but my laptop to reduce distractions and skipping songs.

One at a Time 

Don’t ‘burn yourself out’ by trying to complete so many tasks at once. This will only be more stressful for you and this is when a breakdown might occur as you may think that you haven’t completed anything.

Switch Off

I know this may sound one of the hardest things to do, but, trust me it helps a lot…turn off your phone. By doing this, you’re zoning yourself out from the world we’re essentially in: ‘the digital age’, and this will help you concentrate on the things you need to do.

Take Breaks 

Some people think that when doing work, you’ve got to keep going until you’ve completed that piece of work. This is not the case. If you do little-by-little and take breaks, get food, have a nap etc, it will help you focus even more in addition to reducing your stress.

So these are my 5 tips, just remember to keep it as a routine, then your mind will understand that this is how you work and you’ll adapt quite quickly, making it easier to do work.

Barack Obama once said: ‘If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress’. 

Hope this has helped!

Ellis x