My Experience of My First Professional Practice!

Hey everyone! I hope you’re having a fantastic week!

As part of my Primary Science Education course, I have to complete three block placements over the course of three years. On the 8th of March I finished my first ever professional practice at university.

I hope you enjoy reading about my experience of my first professional practice in a primary school setting!

All my stuff packed up and ready for my first day on placement!

When I first arrived to my placement school, I was a bundle of nerves. I had no idea what was going to happen or what the staff were going to be like.

Luckily for me, I was placed in an AMAZING school that values the use of outdoor learning and building resilience in children. As well as having a great school ethos, all of the staff were so so lovely and welcoming and I immediately felt right at home.

I was placed in a year 3 class with another student teacher and yet again, I felt so grateful to have such respectful and well-behaved class of children. The class teacher/my mentor could not have been more kind and accommodating from the moment we came into the class.

It was safe to say that my nerves quickly faded after my first day on the job!

In terms of planning and preparing for lessons, I found this really hard at the start because it was such a new concept to me. However, with the help of the Edge Hill professional practice blackboard support and previous seminars on planning, it quickly became second nature to me.

This is what the Edge Hill lesson plan format was like. It was really simple and easy to follow!

While I was on professional practice, I knew how important it was to involve myself in as many activities and out of class experiences as I could. Me and the other student teacher were luckily given the opportunity to accompany our class on a school trip to Ribblehead Caves in the Yorkshire Dales. This experience was something I will always remember as it was so much fun but also way out of my comfort zone!

The caves were so tiny, I had to walk sideways!

If you want to read more about my trip to Ribblehead, head over to my blog post about it here; https://mydigitaljourney45482930.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=44&action=edit

Coming up to the end of the 7 week block placement, I began to get really sad that it was almost time to leave the children and the teachers. I could not believe how much I enjoyed the whole experience and how lovely everyone in the school was.

After teaching the children so much, I am really happy to say that I am no longer worried about my ability as a teacher as this professional practice has really made me see the potential I have as an educator and how rewarding it is!

Some of the lovely handmade cards I received from the children in my class!

Overall, my first professional practice experience in a primary setting was so rewarding. Edge Hill also always made sure that we were supported throughout the placement, sending out newsletters, adding resources to blackboard and emphasising that they were only an email away if we had any concerns.

I really hope you enjoyed this blog. I am so grateful to the university for being so supportive during professional practice and for sending me to an amazing school where I learned so much about my future career!

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”

– Dr Seuss –