Exercise and keeping fit at Edge Hill.

Hi everyone, hope you’re well and have had a good week! For today’s blog, I thought I’d write a bit about a few ways I try to keep fit at uni. I think many people think of uni as a time in your life where you slip into bad eating habits of cheap junk food and do zero exercise as you have no time because of uni work! Whereas, I feel like that is completely to the individual, and if you make the time, effort and motivation for it, you can get into a healthy routine of fitness and healthy eating, while also having time for uni work! I like to do exercise after I’ve been to the Catalyst for a couple of hours and have a good healthy meal afterwards.

The Sports Centre                                                                                                                                     In the past couple of months, I have been in the Sports Centre most days, and really making the most of my membership, as I know alot of my friends who have a membership like to as well! The facilities as brilliant, for me personally my favourite parts are the exercise classes (all free with an Edge Hill sports membership!) and the pool. I feel like in the few months I have got my fitness routine at the Sports centre down to a tee and really loving it.

On Mondays I have swim team from 7-9 (I am going to do a blog post all about the swim team next week, about what it’s like to be part of the team and what we do). On Tuesdays I go to Step class at 7:15 and Yoga straight after at 8:20, on Wednesdays Zumba at 7:35 and Konga at 8:25. On Thurdays, if I’m not still in my Critical Theories lecture, I go to land training at 7-8 and Friday I go to Zumba at 6:30!

So yes, you could really say I like to make the most of the factilies, at the weekend I like to go swimming and on a run around the back of the sports centre and aroung campus. It all depends on what I’m up to that week, for example last week I didn’t go to as many classes as I went to a few different shows at the Arts centre to change things up a bit!

Exercising with friends                                                                                                                         I really like to go to the classes at the Sports centre with friends, who if they don’t have a membership can pay for an individual class, and same for going for a swim. I find that getting into fitness is so much easier and more fun if you do it with friends, (I do find the classes are lots of fun either way though, especially zumba!) I also really enjoying going jogging with friends, it can be a great hangover cure the afternoon after a night out as well as a good sleep. 

I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s blog about ways I do exercise and keep (a bit!) fit at uni. These are just ways I like to do it, I know everyone is different, some people like going into the gym and getting into their own routine or having a personal trainer, whatever works for you. Remember to do what feels right for you and not to push yourself too far, I often have the weekend off and sometimes only go to one of two exercise classes a week, I just gave you an example of a busy fitness week for me!

Alice 🙂