Teaching Courses at Edge Hill University

Hello again!

As you all know, Edge Hill University is renowned for its fantastic undergraduate and postgraduate teaching courses ranging from early years to further education. Before teaching a class of 30 children myself, I had no idea how much is involved in teaching. I also didn’t realise how much value it had. Whether it is watching a pupil understand a concept for the first time or adding a smile to their day, it made all the hard work SO worth it.

You can find more information about each type of degree and course here. The structure for each course will vary year to year, but this is a general outline of my course (Primary Education with QTS).

Specialism

Edge Hill’s teaching course is unique in the way that you can specialise in a subject when teaching primary. I chose to specialise in Science, with Art as my minor specialism. These extra modules allow us to deepen our knowledge in those certain areas and they may become a valuable edge to have when applying to be a subject lead. Therefore, when we graduate, our degree includes our major subject specialism e.g. primary science education with QTS.

Modules

My modules are slightly different this year to my previous years. This is a list of the type of modules in my degree…

• English and Computing
  • Science and Maths
  • APD (academic professional development)
  • Major specialism
  • Minor specialism
  • Reflective practitioner (started this year)
  • Professional practice

Unlike a lot of degrees, the bulk of our modules are made up of seminars instead of lectures. This is one of the reasons this course appealed to me. Most weeks we attend one or two lectures which is a good chance to ask general questions and deepen our knowledge of various concepts. However, I enjoy the discussions and liveliness involved with our 1-2 hour seminars… and I am sure you will too!

Professional practice

As my degree is a 3-year course, placement is more spread out compared to a PGCE. This means, we completed 7 weeks in first year, 8 weeks in second year and 10 weeks in third year. Professional practice is the chance for you to understand what it is really like to have your own class. Before I started teaching in first year, I was worried I would not have the confidence. However, after lots of experience and support from the university and the school, I was able to complete my placements with success. No matter how nervous you might feel, experience will help you become the teacher you want to be!

Assessments

For primary education, there has not been a dissertation or sit-down exams. Instead we are assessed on assignments throughout the year, portfolios and lesson observations. I have enjoyed the variation in assessments and I am here to answer any further questions you may have!

I hope this has been useful in giving you more of an insight into teaching courses at Edge Hill.

Speak soon,