Realistic daily meal routines at uni.

Hi everyone, I hope you are well! For today’s blog I am going to talk a bit about easy meals I like to make at university.

As I have spoken about in my blog, ‘ Meal Planning and budgeting!’, I like to plan at the end of each week what meals I am going to have each day in order to eat healthily, save money and stay on top of what I am eating. To carry on with the theme of that blog, for this week I thought it would be fun to give you some ideas of meals and snacks that I have realistically on a day to day basis! I am going to give you an example of what I would usually have for breakfast, lunch, tea and snacks, and variations to suit you!

Breakfast!

The most important meal of the day, which I usually either skip or forget to have! But recently I have been trying to make an effort with breakfast ( when I have the time!) as I have found that it gives me more energy and stops me snacking later on.

For breakfast this morning I had:

Scrambled egg on toast with a banana and a cup of coffee!

This is a standard breakfast for me, I  like to have scrambled egg with toast, but I like to switch it up to Marmite ( I’m a lover!), raspberry jam or peanut butter! I like to have at least one piece of fruit with breakfast and it is usually a banana or an apple, which I will normally have chopped up in my cornflakes with some green milk if I’m having cereal.

Lunch!

As I mentioned in my blog about meal planning, I am vegetarian, so I try to include as fruit and veg in my diet and make sure I have lots of protein, carbohydrates, iron and healthy fats so I have a well balanced diet.

For lunch today I am having:

A bowl of veg soup with a wholemeal part bake baguette and salad.

Again, this is quite a standard lunch for me, I like to switch it up so might have beans on toast with veg or a veggie sandwich! It can be so easy just to grab a Subway or a  McDonalds  ( which I definitely do from time to time!) But this really adds up, and I always think that that money can be spent on so many other things and taking that time to make a packed lunch really is worth it! I like to have a piece of fruit or something like a cereal bar too!

Tea!  

Tea is by far my favourite meal of the day, I find that I never have a set dinner time as when I have different exercise classes I don’t want to eat before so sometimes it’s about 8/9pm by the time I have tea but it is still my favourite meal to prepare and eat!

For tea tonight I am having:

Quorn chicken nuggets, roast potatoes and veg.

I like to have a nice hearty, comforting meal for tea, especially in the winter months. As you can tell, I like to have simple meals that are very easy to make but are nice and filling. I like to think I eat quite healthily and as I am just cooking for one I find it good to adapt my meals depending on what I’m doing/ how I feel on the day! If I get hungry between meals, I will usually have a banana or cereal bar.

I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s blog and it has given you an insight into what a uni student eats on a day to day basis, trying to eat a healthy, balanced diet as well as exercising! Please comment below if you have any questions, have a great week!

Alice 🙂