What to start thinking about

So it may seem a bit early to be thinking about starting University in September with it being almost 7 months away. However I know from my experience that I started getting very nervous that I didn’t know anyone and that I wasn’t ready. Things such as cooking for yourself and doing your own washing is something that most people are not used to, so I have a few tips of things that I did or wish I did before coming to University.

1. Join facebook groups- I know that there is already a group that is set up to help 2019 freshers meet their course friends. For me the first girl that I met doing my course is now one of my best friends and it was really helpful to go in on the first day and have someone that I kind of knew. I was able to speak to her before coming and get to know her a bit which really helped when first meeting. Once I got to University I felt like I had already known her for years.
  2. Start cooking once a week- Leading up to going to University, my friend and I took it in turns to cook for one another. It wasn’t that we couldn’t cook but it was good for us to try out simple and cheap recipes in preparation for coming to University. This was very useful and actually really fun, we tried out a range of different things from stuffed peppers, to chickpea curry. 
  3. Start doing your own washing- This is something that I actually started doing in the summer but I wish I had started earlier. It is not the fact of how you use the washing machine because the ones at University are probably different, its more of the fact of getting into a routine and personally to know that just because I have worm something once, doesn’t mean that it needs a wash. It was good for me to be able to get into a routine of washing my own clothes and a set to being more independent.
  4. Go with whoever does thefood shop- Doing this can be helpful as it means you can have practice with budgeting. Knowing what to pick and trying to go with cheaper options rather than the highest brand, which you really don’t need. It may be really simple and maybe you already join whoever does the food shop, however try and take an active part, particularly if you are going to be cooking in the week because then you can take charge of what you need.

Although these may seem like very small and silly things, they can actually help with settling into University, but also means you can probably help others with things like their washing or cooking, if they need you to check something is definitely cooked.