What can you use with your gym membership?

When coming to university, one of the main things I wanted to do was join the gym. I have been fairly active since I was young and have been going to the gym on and off since I was 14. Personally I really enjoy the gym as a way to keep fit and healthy but also to have a bit of time to myself and not be thinking about school work or anything else. I was very impressed by all the facilities that were available at Edge Hill’s Sport Centre and I was very excited to get my membership.

In September I payed £80 for a years membership, due to living on campus (however this may change), and the amount of things that are included within the package I was astonished. I thought it would be helpful to share some of the things I get and use within my membership so that others have a rough idea for when they come to Edge Hill.

1. Full use of the gym- this is a given but the gym is open 7am till 10pm Monday through Thursday, then on a Friday it is open 7am-9pm, and finally on a weekend the gym is open 9am-5pm. These opening times are very inclusive and seem to work well for everyone, because if you want to go to the gym before a lecture it is possible or if you want to go later in the evening after you have done your work for the day, then again that is possible.
  2. Full use of the classes- this is subject to availability, but there are a wide range of classes that go on throughout the week. You can book them from week to week very easily online. And again this is all included in the membership. I have been to classes such as Zumba, Spinning, HIIT, and abs express, all of which the instructors have been very helpful but they also try and push you to the best of your ability.
  3. Personal training sessions- Each week I have the opportunity to have a 30 minute personal training session, again subject to availability. I love these sessions as I am able to different things in my workouts other than just what I normally do and also I am definitely pushed to the best of my ability. Each week I can chose what I want to focus on in my workout, and it is always a good challenge. 
  4. A workout plan- with my membership I was able to get a plan made for me. I had a meeting with my personal trainer and I was able to tell him my goals and then a few days later I had a number of different workouts on my app, which is also very useful because it tells you how many reps and the weight and also a rest time. 

Finally there are other things included in the membership that I have, such as use of the pool when it is open, you can also use the sauna and steam room. However these are things that I have not got round to using yet. But this just shows that there are such a wide range of opportunities and facilities the Sports Centre to fit whatever you would like to get involved with. There is something for everyone.