Third Year English modules

Hi everyone,

Last year I wrote a post about the modules I chose for the second year of my degree in English Literature which you can see here.

English

1. Victorians at Work:

This is one of the compulsory modules I took for this year. It is a period survey about Victorians in a professional context. I found it really interesting to learn more about our ancestors and how they influenced us. it addresses the social side of the Victorian era such as industrialisation. Texts included The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte and The Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

2.  Contemporary Literature in English:

This focuses on texts that were written after the end of the second world war right up until the current day. I only started this module this term and I am already really enjoying it! Some of the books include; A Kind of Loving by Stan Barstow and Ali Smith’s Autumn.

3. Victorians at Play:

This is fast becoming one of my favourite modules as it is really interesting to see how the Victorians kept themselves entertained and how much they invented as well. So far texts have included J M Barrie’s Peter Pan and Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol.

4. Sex, Drugs and Rock N Roll: Young Adult Fiction:

This module is all about teenage fiction so its super enjoyable to read the texts. They range from texts from young peoples experiences of war and also first love. Texts include; Forever by Judy Blume and John Green’ s The Fault in our Stars.

I hope you found this interesting!

Ellie 🙂