Long distance relationships and friendships at Uni.

Hi everyone, Hope you’re well! 

For today’s post I thought I would write about long distance relationships and friendships at university. It can be hard with someone you care about and being apart from them for a long amount of time. For todays blog, I am going to give you some hints and tips to make it easier.

1. Facetime, facetime, facetime.                                                                                                      Taking the time to phone and facetime the people that you love and care about is so important and to tell them all about your day and what you’re up to! It can be really nice after a long day of doing uni work to ring your boyfriend, girlfriend or best friend and get everything everything of your chest and have a good catch up. Communication is the most important thing in any relationship and f you ever feel a bit down or off, it is great to tell them. For me, whenever I’m doing a food shop or on a walk, I like to call my boyfriend or best friend and catch up with them.

2. Make the time to see each other.                                                                                                 With me and my boyfriend, before i started at Edge Hill, I was worried that the distance would be too hard to make it work, but making the time to see each other every 3-4 weeks either at each other’s university or half way inbetween. Planning to go to favourite restaurant together or go on a surprise visit can be a great thing to do to change things up a bit. Doing the things together that you used to do all the time when you actually get to see each other makes it feel like thing’s haven’t massively changed.  It can be hard with deadlines and uni work, but it is important to prioritise, so make that time to call the people you love and care about after you’ve done your work, perhaps while you are doing you food shop or laundry!

3. Talk to friends about it.                                                                                                                    Talking to friends at university and people around you is a great way with dealing with the distance and being away from the people you love. Friends might be in the exact same boat as you and just talking can make it easier, getting things off your chest. Keeping yourself busy with hobbies and interests, like for me, I like going to exercise classes and being part of the swim team as well as putting my phone away for a few hours everyday in order to have that distance!

Thank you for reading, if you have any questions please comment! See you soon,

Alice 🙂