Top Tips for Meeting New People!

Hey everyone!

Moving from Northern Ireland to Ormskirk came as a bit of a shock to the system. I had left all my family and friends behind in the small ‘wee’ town of Saul, my forever home.

Coming to university and not knowing anyone around me was something that made my nerves bubble up inside me and fill me with all types of emotions. However, I luckily was very quick to find people who I connected with and can now call my friends.

Here are some of my tips and tricks on meeting new people!

Go out on the first night of freshers!

I remember my first day arriving at university and feeling so deflated after unpacking all day then having to say goodbye to my parents. The last thing I wanted to do was go out and socialize. However, I am so glad that I made the decision to do so! I was able to connect with my new flat mates and get to know them a little better which was such a good ice-breaker. Do not be afraid to put yourself out there and let people see you for who you are. 

Join a society!

Here at Edge Hill, there are so many societies to choose from that you will have no problem finding one that tickles your fancy. It is such a great way to meet new people who have the same interests as you and a great way to socialize outside of your flat. Here is a helpful link that will allow you to browse some of the clubs and societies at Edge Hill – https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/student-experience/clubs-and-societies/

Give It A Go!

I was so thankful for the students union setting this up for first years. Before I arrived at Edge Hill, I was sent an information booklet from the students union with a timetable of all the Give It A Go sessions that would be happening when I arrive. There were trips to Ikea, Crafternoon sessions, nightclubs and lots of other activities that allowed me to meet people from other courses and to go to with my flat mates! They also organise these sessions throughout the year so take advantage of them when you can! Check out the Student Union website – https://www.edgehillsu.org.uk/

Do not isolate yourself!

Believe me, I know the feeling. Moving to a completely new environment can be overwhelming and your flat room seems like the only safe haven away from the unfamiliarity around you. In my opinion, staying in your room and not allowing yourself to step out of your comfort zone is not the way to meet new people. On my first night, I was barely in my room because I was hanging out with my flat mates, getting to know them and creating memories that we still talk about till this day! 

And that is all the tips that helped me meet new people and make new friends. I really hope that this helps someone and do not hesitate to ask me anything about moving away from home and settling in to new environments because I know exactly how it feels.

This quote is a little different from my normal ones because my dad said this before I left for university and I have remembered it every single day. Allow people to get to know you because, more than likely, they are just as interested to get to know you as you are them.

“Everyone is curious about everyone” 

-My Dad-