Applicants Visit Day!!

Hi, I attended an Applicant Visit Day for Educational Psychology. I come from Guernsey in the Channel Islands and so coming to Edge Hill, very far away, was such a great opportunity as the Applicant Visit Day really put my mind at ease that I felt comfortable where I was going to studying for the next 3 years.

When coming to the Applicant Visit Day, my initial feelings were nerves and anxiety, but just know that if you feel like that you are not the only one!

On arrival at Edge Hill, I was greeted with a warm welcome and lots of signs of where I needed to go, there is also usually lots of information and freebies for you to pick up, which came in handy. Every person that I met had a smile on their face and wanted to help in any which way that they could.

A key piece of advice I would give for the Applicant Visit Day, is to not be afraid to get involved and ask questions. At the end of the day if you have a question, you’re probably not the only one wanting to know the answer, and it is important to know as much as you can before making your final decision. Take full advantage of the tours that go on throughout the day as these are generally led by students who can tell you more about student life including societies, socials, and most importantly the campus cats.

The subject specific talks are very informative but also really fun, the lecturers always make them as engaging as possible. Make sure to ask any questions that you have, as its your future and the potential course you could be studying for the next three years, so it’s important you find the right one. For my course we had a fun activity to help us get to know each other and to learn more about the course in an informal way. We had to build a tower out of marshmallows and dry spaghetti- it was a real challenge but also such a laugh and everyone got stuck in. The session was so fun and very engaging. Again, the student mentors will be at these sessions to help with any extra questions you may have about your course which they can answer in a less formal manner.

On my Applicant Visit Day I also got to meet some of the people that were going to potentially be on my course. Another tip I would give is that it’s really important to make conversation with people as they could end up being your coursemates. For me I was lucky enough to meet some of the people that are actually on my course now, and it was really nice to see familiar faces on my first day.

All in all, I would highly recommend attending the Applicant Visit Day, as it really put my mind at ease, which I needed because I was coming so far away from home, and therefore confirmed that Edge Hill University was going to be my firm choice.