Homesickness

When coming to Edge Hill, I thought that I was going to be the only one missing home and everyone would think I’m a baby for it. However this is completely not the case, even people that come from near by get homesick. For some people it is really easy for them to get home, however some it is not so easy, for example I have to get a plane to get home, so it is not something that I get to do all that often. However I have found a few things that have really helped me to feel less homesick.

• One of the main things that have really helped me is FaceTime/video calling friends and family. I call my parents every few days to keep them updated with what I’m doing but also for them to tell me what is happening at home so that I don’t feel left out (even if they go out for dinner or go and watch a movie I want to see, without me).  I also call my friends from home every now and again and we often do a big group FaceTime, it made it really exciting as we were all showing our rooms and flats. I really think that this has helped me feel less homesick as it is something I really look forward to each week.
  • Another thing that has really helped is pictures in my room. Before coming to university I got lots of pictures printed off, of memories from the summer, pictures of family and lots more. I stuck them (with white tack) all around my room, this makes it feel very homely and also makes me smile when I look at them.
  • Finally, the last piece of advice would predominantly be for the first week or 2, when you are settling in. I would advise spending as much time in the kitchen and with your flat mates as possible, as it is really important to get to know them as you will be living with them for the next year. This will also help to hopefully stop you from feeling home sick, as you won’t be thinking about home or whoever has just dropped you off. I found this really helpful because if I was by myself, I would have felt sad and really missed home

This weeks quote is…

“Where we love is home- home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts” – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.